World Tennis Discussion @ CG

cek mek molek

CG Super Hardcore Club
gemgemgemgemgemgem
Paid Membership
Top Poster #2
Reaction score
Awards
Her win marked the first time in a decade that she has made the semis.

Azarenka downs Pegula in Australian Open last 8​

January 24, 2023 6:55 PM

azarenka-240123-ap.jpg
Victoria Azarenka rolled back the years at the Australian Open today. (AP pic)
MELBOURNE: Victoria Azarenka rolled back the years at the Australian Open today as the two-time champion crushed third seed Jessica Pegula 6-4, 6-1 to reach the semifinals and remain on course for her third Grand Slam crown.

Victory marked the first time in a decade that the 33-year-old had made it to the last four at Melbourne Park and she will make her first appearance in a Major semifinal since the US Open in 2020 where she went on to lose in the title clash.

“Well, it hurts to beat her because I always want her to do well, but the same time I know I have to play my best tennis,” Azarenka said of her friend and practice partner Pegula.

“She’s been playing amazing, very consistent and I knew from the first point I have to bring it.

“We had so many rallies and I wanted to try to stay there, take opportunities because she was going to take everything if I don’t try to win myself and I’m very proud that I executed my game plan really well.”

Azarenka, the last woman to defend the Australian Open title after her 2013 triumph, played superbly to race into a 3-0 lead over American Pegula in the first set before the highest seed left in the women’s draw finally held serve.

Pegula found her rhythm playing closer to the baseline and controlling the rallies to break back, but Belarusian Azarenka found another gear to move ahead in the contest before both players failed to hold serve in the next.

Former world No 1 Azarenka took the decisive lead, however, and closed out the match to set up a semifinal meeting with Wimbledon winner Elena Rybakina after the Kazakh 22nd seed beat former Roland Garros champion Jelena Ostapenko.

“It’s so amazing to be in the semifinal of another Grand Slam,” Azarenka said.

“I felt especially last year my tennis wasn’t bad but I wasn’t really mentally there to go out there.

“I played with a lot of fear, with a lot of anxiety and it really was difficult to be brave and to make the right choices in an important moment when you feel anxious, when you feel hesitant.

“I worked a lot on my mindset, challenging myself on things that I wouldn’t really do before and try to push myself forward.

“Because when you achieved great success, sometimes you become conservative and you’re a bit more hesitant to try new things. This off-season I was like I’ll just be open-minded trying new things and put my head down and work hard.”

Sponsored Post

cek mek molek

CG Super Hardcore Club
gemgemgemgemgemgem
Paid Membership
Top Poster #2
Reaction score
Awards
#BHSukan Stefanos Tsitsipas melangkah ke separuh akhir tenis Terbuka Australia di Melbourne, sebentar tadi, untuk menempah pertemuan dengan Karen Khachanov.
https://bit.ly/3ZZWuZx

Tsitsipas mara separuh akhir Terbuka Australia​

Januari 24, 2023 @ 9:04pm
Pemain Greece, Stefanos Tsitsipas meraikan kejayaan mara ke separuh akhir tenis Terbuka Australia selepas menewaskan pemain Republik Czech, Jiri Lehecka pada aksi suku akhir di Melbourne, sebentar tadi. - Foto AFP.
Pemain Greece, Stefanos Tsitsipas meraikan kejayaan mara ke separuh akhir tenis Terbuka Australia selepas menewaskan pemain Republik Czech, Jiri Lehecka pada aksi suku akhir di Melbourne, sebentar tadi. - Foto AFP.

MELBOURNE: Pemain pilihan ketiga, Stefanos Tsitsipas melangkah ke separuh akhir tenis Terbuka Australia di sini, sebentar tadi, untuk menempah pertemuan dengan pemain Russia, Karen Khachanov.

Pemain Greece itu yang mara ke separuh akhir buat kali keempat, terbukti terlalu unggul buat lawannya dari Republik Czech, Jiri Lehecka dalam saingan di Rod Laver Arena, dengan keputusan 6-3, 7-6 (7/2), 6-4.
- AFP

cek mek molek

CG Super Hardcore Club
gemgemgemgemgemgem
Paid Membership
Top Poster #2
Reaction score
Awards
The unheralded Pole will now battle for a place in the final.

Stunned Linette ousts Pliskova to reach first Grand Slam semi​

January 25, 2023 11:14 AM

AP23025060773799.jpg

Magda Linette was in disbelief after defeating Karolina Pliskova in their quarterfinal match at the Australian Open. (AP pic)

MELBOURNE: Magda Linette reacted with disbelief after continuing her dream run into the semifinals of the Australian Open on Wednesday with a stunning 6-3, 7-5 victory over former world number one Karolina Pliskova.

The unheralded Pole played wonderfully controlled tennis that belied her ranking of 45th in the world to wrap up a thoroughly deserved victory in the blazing sun on Rod Laver Arena.

Linette had been expected to play second fiddle to compatriot Iga Swiatek at Melbourne Park but will now battle for a place in the final against Aryna Sabalenka or Donna Vekic, who face off in Wednesday’s second quarterfinal.

“It’s so much and I can’t really believe it,” the 30-year-old said. “It’s really dreams come true. We keep going, though, I don’t want to get too excited because we’re still in the tournament, but I’m super grateful and happy.”

After both players were broken in their opening service game, Linette showed the greater composure and took control of the first set as twice Grand Slam finalist Pliskova racked up 14 of the 36 unforced errors she would make over the match.

Pliskova knew she had to raise her game in the second set and ramped up the rasping forehands but Linette had the answer to everything the Czech threw at her.

She saved two break points to hold for 2-2 and then earned three of her own on Pliskova’s next service game only for the Czech to battle back with a couple of big winners.

The set stayed on serve but Linette appeared to have the upper hand, winning one point with a sublime running backhand crosscourt winner, and she pounced to break for 6-5 when Pliskova offered her two chances with a double fault.

She threw her racket to the ground after serving out nervelessly for the match, clasping her head and staring wide-eyed at her box after reaching the last four for the first time in 30 Grand Slam appearances.

“I will never forget this,” she added. “I’m breaking through some really difficult things for me. This will stay with me for life. So I’m really grateful.”

Linette had never been past the third round at a Grand Slam before arriving at Melbourne Park this year and said a change in mentality was behind her fairytale run.

“I think through all my life I’ve been taking mistakes and losses very personally,” she explained. “So to disconnect (life) as a tennis player and a person was really difficult because I felt a lot of times that the mistakes were defining me.

“My coaches did a really great job and I’m really thankful to them because they really put up with a lot of crap.”
Later on Wednesday, Ben Shelton and Tommy Paul meet in the first all-American men’s Grand Slam quarterfinal since 2007, and overwhelming favourite Novak Djokovic faces Andrey Rublev in bid to reach a 10th Melbourne Park semifinal.

cek mek molek

CG Super Hardcore Club
gemgemgemgemgemgem
Paid Membership
Top Poster #2
Reaction score
Awards
#BHsukan Pilihan ke-22 itu sudah tewaskan juara bertahan Terbuka Perancis dan Terbuka Amerika Syarikat selain kalahkan juara Roland Garros di suku akhir
https://bit.ly/3wxcpRN

Giliran Azarenka jadi mangsa Rybakina​

Januari 26, 2023 @ 7:40pm
Rybakina membalas pukulan Azarenka pada aksi separuh akhir perseorangan wanita Terbuka Australia.
Rybakina membalas pukulan Azarenka pada aksi separuh akhir perseorangan wanita Terbuka Australia.

MELBOURNE: Juara Wimbledon, Elena Rybakina menundukkan Victoria Azarenka untuk mara ke final Terbuka Australia sekali gus meleburkan impian pemain Belarus itu merangkul kejuaraan ketiga di Melbourne.

Rybakina lebih unggul menerusi kemenangan 7-6 (7/4), 6-3 dan bakal bertemu Aryna Sabalenka ataupun Magda Linette di pentas final, Sabtu ini.

Azarenka yang memenangi Grand Slam pada 2012 dan 2013 tumbang dalam tempoh satu jam 41 minit di Rod Laver Arena.

Rybakina yang juga pilihan ke-22 itu sudah pun mengejutkan juara bertahan Terbuka Perancis dan Terbuka Amerika Syarikat, Iga Swiatek di pusingan ketiga selain menumpaskan juara Roland Garros, Jelena Ostapenko di suku akhir.

"Saya sangat gembira mara ke final. Hari ini lebih sukar kerana beraksi dalam keadaan yang berbeza," katanya yang mewakili Kazakhstan.

"Saya tidak boleh beraksi begitu agresif. Bola tidak dapat pergi sebaik mungkin tetapi saya gembira kerana dapat meraih kemenangan.

"Saya akan lakukan yang terbaik di final nanti," katanya. -AFP

cek mek molek

CG Super Hardcore Club
gemgemgemgemgemgem
Paid Membership
Top Poster #2
Reaction score
Awards
He will play either Novak Djokovic or Tommy Paul for the Australian Open title.

Tsitsipas makes first Melbourne final after beating Khachanov​

January 27, 2023 3:50 PM

tsitsipas-270123-ap.jpg
Stefanos Tsitsipas finished the match in style to claim a place in his second Grand Slam final. (AP pic)

MELBOURNE: Stefanos Tsitsipas blazed his way into a first Australian Open final with a 7-6(2), 6-4, 6-7(6), 6-3 win over Russian 18th seed Karen Khachanov today.

Greek third seed Tsitsipas, who had crashed three times at the semifinal stage at Melbourne Park, will play either favourite Novak Djokovic or Tommy Paul for the title.

The 2021 French Open runner-up forced an error on the Khachanov forehand to grab an early break only to immediately surrender his serve.

The pair traded breaks again in a see-sawing opening set but Tsitsipas came alive in the tiebreak and surged ahead in the match before getting his nose in front in the next set when Khachanov’s level dropped.

Despite being rattled by three foot faults and two time violations on serve, Tsitsipas looked more comfortable after winning the second set.

The 24-year-old broke Khachanov for a 2-1 lead in the third but the Russian bravely drew level at 5-5 before it went to a tiebreak.

Tsitsipas hit two superb inside-out forehands to draw roars from the crowd but squandered two match points and allowed Khachanov to take the set.

The Greek regrouped in the fourth set to go 3-0 up and finished the match in style to claim a place in his second Grand Slam final.

cek mek molek

CG Super Hardcore Club
gemgemgemgemgemgem
Paid Membership
Top Poster #2
Reaction score
Awards

Djokovic pounds Paul to reach 10th Aussie Open final​

Reuters
-
January 27, 2023 8:20 PM

nole-270123-ap.jpg
Novak Djokovic is looking to win a 22nd Grand Slam title in Australia. (AP pic)

MELBOURNE: Novak Djokovic shrugged off controversy involving his father to reach a record-extending 10th Australian Open final with a 7-5, 6-1, 6-2 win over outgunned American Tommy Paul today.

Nine-time champion Djokovic will meet third seed Stefanos Tsitsipas in Sunday’s decider after the Greek booked his first final at Melbourne Park by beating Russian Karen Khachanov in the earlier semifinal.

Serbian Djokovic’s father Srdjan created a distraction for his son ahead of the semifinal after a video emerged showing him posing with fans holding Russian flags, which were banned at Melbourne Park early in the tournament.

With Srdjan declining to attend the semi-final for fear of creating further disruption for his son, fourth seed Djokovic was in a foul mood early at Rod Laver Arena and surrendered a 5-1 lead in the first set as unseeded Paul rallied to 5-5.

Djokovic then knuckled down.

In a furious counterattack, he won 14 of the next 17 games to seal another one-sided victory in his bid for a 22nd Grand Slam title.

cek mek molek

CG Super Hardcore Club
gemgemgemgemgemgem
Paid Membership
Top Poster #2
Reaction score
Awards
#tenis #melbourne Pilihan ketiga dari Greece itu menunjukkan semangat luar biasa mengecewakan pemain Russia, Karen Khachanov seterusnya menempah tempat ke perlawanan akhir menentang juara sembilan kali di Melbourne, Novak Djokovic.
https://www.hmetro.com.my/.../tsitsipas-buat-perhitungan...

Tsitsipas buat perhitungan dengan Djokovic di final​

AFP
TSITSIPAS berpeluang menduduki ranking nombor satu dunia. FOTO AFP
TSITSIPAS berpeluang menduduki ranking nombor satu dunia. FOTO AFP

Melbourne: Stefanos Tsitsipas berkata dia terus memasang impian yang tinggi selepas mara ke final Terbuka Australia buat kali pertama dan berada di landasan yang tepat untuk bergelar pemain nombor satu dunia.

Pilihan ketiga dari Greece itu menunjukkan semangat luar biasa mengecewakan pemain Russia, Karen Khachanov seterusnya menempah tempat ke perlawanan akhir menentang juara sembilan kali di Melbourne, Novak Djokovic.
Pilihan ke-18 Khachanov memberi ancaman kepada Tsitsipas selepas menyelamatkan dua mata perlawanan untuk membawa perlawanan ke set keempat sebelum Tsitsipas menamatkan perlawanan dengan kemenangan 7-6 (7/2), 6-4, 6-7 (6/8), 6-3.

Sementara itu Djokovic mempamerkan aksi mantap untuk mara ke perlawanan akhir Terbuka Australia yang ke-10 dan mengejar kejuaraan Grand Slam ke-22 dan kini Tsitsipas bakal menjadi penghalangnya.

Pilihan keempat dari Serbia bangkit dari aksi goyah di set pertama untuk menewaskan pemain bukan pilihan dari Amerika, Tommy Paul 7-5, 6-1, 6-2 di Rod Laver Arena dengan bergaya.

Tsitsipas boleh menguasai ranking dunia jika dia memenangi mahkota Grand Slam pertamanya esok.

"Saya memasang impian ketika saya masih kanak-kanak untuk satu hari nanto boleh bermain di gelanggang ini menentang pemain terbaik dunia," kata Tsitsipas selepas memenangi separuh akhir Terbuka Australia pada percubaan keempat.

"Jadi saya gembira dengan perjuangan saya hari ini. Saya berasa dirahmati, diberkati kerana saya dapat bermain tenis pada tahap ini.

Pada usia 24 tahun, Tsitsipas adalah lelaki termuda mara ke final Terbuka Australia sejak Djokovic berusia 23 tahun pada 2011.

Disiarkan pada: Januari 27, 2023 @ 8:43pm

Sponsored Post

CG Sponsors