World Tennis Discussion @ CG

CG Sponsors

cek mek molek

CG Hardcore Club
Platinum Member
Top Poster #1
Reaction score

Rafael Nadal vs Novak Djokovic - Final Highlights I Roland-Garros 2020. Watch the best moments of the final between Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic. The Spanish player won in three sets 6/0 6/2 7/5 and claimed his 13th Roland-Garros, his 20th Grand Slam. It's his 100th victory in Roland-Garros. These highlights were brought to you by Emirates.

Sponsored Post

cek mek molek

CG Hardcore Club
Platinum Member
Top Poster #1
Reaction score
Nadal routs Djokovic for 13th French Open, record-equalling 20th Grand Slam
October 12, 2020 @ 12:38am
nadaal_1602434292.jpg

Spain's Rafael Nadal celebrates with the Mousquetaires Cup (The Musketeers) during the podium ceremony after winning the men's singles final tennis match against Serbia's Novak Djokovic at the Philippe Chatrier court, on Day 15 of The Roland Garros 2020 French Open tennis tournament in Paris on October 11, 2020. -- AFP

PARIS: Rafael Nadal demolished Novak Djokovic 6-0, 6-2, 7-5 to win his 13th French Open and equal Roger Federer's all-time record of 20 Grand Slam titles on Sunday.

For world number one Djokovic, the defeat ended his hopes of an 18th Slam and of becoming the first man since Rod Laver in 1969 to win all four majors twice.

Nadal, 34, claimed his 100th match win at Roland Garros against just two defeats since his 2005 debut.

The Spaniard, the oldest champion in Paris since Andres Gimeno in 1972, claimed the title without dropping a set.

He finished the one-sided affair with just 14 unforced errors to his opponent's 52.

"Congrats to Novak for another great tournament. Sorry for today. We've played plenty of times together - one day one wins, another the other," said Nadal.

"After all the things I have been through in my career with injuries, I could not have done it without my family."

Nadal said he wasn't even thinking about matching Federer's record.

"It's been a very tough year. Winning here means everything to me so it's not about equalling Roger on 20, for me today it's just a Roland Garros victory.

"Roland Garros means everything to me. I spent most of the most important moments of my tennis career here.

"Just playing here is a true inspiration. The love story I have with this court and city is unbelievable."

The 56th meeting between the world's top two started under the roof of Court Philippe Chatrier, intensifying the echo of a crowd limited to 1,000 due to the coronavirus pandemic.

djoko_1602434297.jpg

Serbia's Novak Djokovic returns the ball to Spain's Rafael Nadal during their men's final tennis match at the Philippe Chatrier court on Day 15 of The Roland Garros 2020 French Open tennis tournament in Paris on October 11, 2020. -- AFP

Conventional wisdom suggested that would favour Djokovic but nobody told Nadal who broke three times in the 45-minute opening set.

The Spaniard hit 10 winners and just two unforced errors.

Djokovic's error count was 13 with the out-of-sorts Serb even squandering three break points of his own in the fourth game.

More worrying for the world number one -- Nadal improved to 111-0 when winning the first set of best-of-five matches on clay in his career.

It was the first opening set 'bagel' in a Roland Garros final since 2004 when Gaston Gaudio recovered to defeat Argentine compatriot Guillermo Coria in five sets.

Djokovic finally got on the board with a service hold in the first game of the second set but Nadal maintained his relentless push, going to a double break for 4-1 as even the Serb's usual deft touches on the drop shot deserted him.

Nadal wrapped up a two-set lead with his unforced error count at just six to Djokovic's 30.

Nadal broke for the sixth time for a 3-2 lead in the third before Djokovic suddenly restored his reputation as the sport's best returner by carving out his first break of the afternoon for 3-3.

However, there was to be no miracle recovery as a double fault handed Nadal a 6-5 lead and he took the title with an ace. -- AFP

cek mek molek

CG Hardcore Club
Platinum Member
Top Poster #1
Reaction score
57 of the 69 Majors have been won by the over 30 trio of Nadal, Federer and Djokovic.

Tennis’ ‘Big 3’ keep widening gap with chasing pack

October 12, 2020 11:56 AM

Nadal-121020-AP.jpg

Spain’s Rafael Nadal is the oldest Roland Garros champion since Andres Gimeno in 1972. (AP pic)

PARIS: Rafael Nadal’s 13th French Open was hailed as “one of sport’s greatest achievements” by close friend and rival Roger Federer, but for tennis’ flagging chasing pack, it was another dagger in the heart of their ambitions.
Nadal, who has now gone level with Federer on 20 career Grand Slams, has won six since turning 30.

World No 1 Novak Djokovic has captured five of his 17 since leaving his 20s while even Federer, now 39, claimed four after his 30th birthday.

Nadal’s staggering 6-0, 6-2, 7-5 win over Djokovic in the Roland Garros final allowed him to join the Serb in winning Majors in three different decades.

The 34-year-old Spaniard insists that he won’t become obsessed with ending his career as the all-time greatest Slam winner.

“I would love to finish my career being the player with more Grand Slams,” he said after winning his 100th match at Roland Garros against just two losses in 15 years.

“But I’m not going to be thinking all the time Novak has this one, Roger is winning the other one.

“You can’t be always unhappy because your neighbour has a bigger house than you or a bigger boat or has a better phone.

“In terms of these records, of course I care. For me it means a lot to share this number with Roger.

“But let’s see what’s going on when we finish our careers. We keep playing. I don’t know what can happen in the future.”

Iron grip of ‘Big Three’

Federer, who missed the US Open and Roland Garros to recover from knee surgery, believes that he and Nadal have “pushed each other to become better players”.

Nadal is the oldest Roland Garros champion since Andres Gimeno in 1972.

Djokovic, at 33, is the youngest of the three giants of the sport.

Despite his loss on Sunday, which cost him the chance to become the first man since Rod Laver in 1969 to win all four Majors twice, he believes the 20-Slam mark can be bettered.

“If I thought it was too late I would have ended my career today,” the world No 1 told Serbian media after his seventh loss in eight meetings with Nadal in Paris.

“Myself, Nadal, Federer have been written off many times but we keep coming back and proving that we are still the best in the world.”

“My goals remain the same – the historic No 1 ranking and Grand Slam titles.”

Djokovic will start his 289th week as world No 1 on Monday with Federer’s all-time high of 310 comfortably in his sights.

The iron-grip on the Slams of Nadal, Djokovic and Federer is another source of frustration for the young pretenders who have constantly come up short.

From Federer’s first Slam triumph at Wimbledon in 2003, 57 of the 69 Majors have been won by the ‘Big Three’.

Only six finals have failed to feature at least one of them.

The most recent even carries an asterisk as Dominic Thiem’s win over Alexander Zverev at the US Open last month came after Nadal and Federer opted not to play and Djokovic was defaulted.

Until Sunday, that was Djokovic’s only loss of 2020 compared to 37 wins.

Greek world No 6 Stefanos Tsitsipas, who lost in five sets to Djokovic in the semifinals at Roland Garros, believes there will be a changing of the guard.

However, the 22-year-old was conservative on the timeframe.

“The big three have been there for a long time. I don’t feel like it’s going to be the same – in five, six years.”

They are statistics which illustrate even more starkly how big the gap remains between the sport’s ‘Big Three’ and the rest.

cek mek molek

CG Hardcore Club
Platinum Member
Top Poster #1
Reaction score
#tenis #Cologne "Ia pencapaian menakjubkan. Saya tak rasa apa yang dilakukannya di Roland Garros akan dapat diatasi sampai bila-bila." kata Murray. https://www.hmetro.com.my/.../rekod-nadal-di-paris-sukar...

Rekod Nadal di Paris sukar digugat - Murray

Andy Murray. FOTO File Agensi

Andy Murray. FOTO File Agensi
AFP

Cologne, Jerman: Andy Murray menjangkakan rekod 13 kejuaraan Terbuka Perancis milik Rafael Nadal tidak akan diatasi oleh sesiapa.
Murray bekas pemain nombor satu dunia dari Britain berazam untuk bangkit pada kejohanan di Cologne minggu ini selepas aksi mengecewakannya di Roland Garros.

Murray, 33, juara bertahan Olimpik, tersingkir dengan straight set di pusingan pertama Terbuka Perancis bulan lalu kepada Stan Wawrinka.

Dia yang berusaha meningkatkan permainan apabila kembali beraksi selepas menjalani pembedahan pinggul.

Ahad lalu, Nadal, 34, menewaskan Novak Djokovic 6-0, 6-2, 7-5 pada final di Roland Garros untuk gelaran ke-13 di Terbuka Perancis.

Sensasi Sepanyol itu turut menyamai rekod sepanjang zaman 20 gelaran Grand Slam yang dipegang Roger Federer yang menyifatkan pencapaian Nadal antara paling hebat dalam sejarah sukan.

"Ia pencapaian menakjubkan. Saya tak rasa apa yang dilakukannya di Roland Garros akan dapat diatasi sampai bila-bila." kata Murray.

"Dia kurang satu kemenangan untuk menyamai jumlah Grand Slam (Pete) Sampras, dan dia melakukannya hanya dalam satu kejohanan. Ia luar biasa.
"Saya tak fikir ia akan diulangi dan tidak ada sesiapa yang hampir."

Artikel ini disiarkan pada : Selasa, 13 Oktober 2020 @ 9:38 AM

cek mek molek

CG Hardcore Club
Platinum Member
Top Poster #1
Reaction score
#london Sensasi Sepanyol itu yang sudah memenangi 86 gelaran, kini sedang memburu kejuaraan di kejohanan yang belum pernah dimenangi sepanjang kariernya.
https://www.hmetro.com.my/.../nadal-hampiri-gelaran-final...

Nadal hampiri gelaran Final ATP

NADAL ke separuh akhir Final ATP. FOTO AFP

NADAL ke separuh akhir Final ATP. FOTO AFP
AFP

London: Rafael Nadal terus menghidupkan peluangnya untuk untuk memenangi Final ATP buat kali pertama selepas menewaskan juara bertahan, Stefanos Tsitsipas 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 di London untuk menempah tiket ke separuh akhir.
Sensasi Sepanyol itu yang sudah memenangi 86 gelaran, kini sedang memburu kejuaraan di kejohanan yang belum pernah dimenangi sepanjang kariernya.
Pemain berusia 34 tahun itu layak beraksi di Final ATP selama 16 tahun berturut-turut tetapi terpaksa menarik diri dalam enam edisi.

Pilihan kedua itu memenangi aksi pertama saingan round robin bertemu Andrey Rublev namun kekalahan kepada Dominic Thiem menyaksikannya perlu mencatatkan kemenangan ke atas juara 2019, Tsitsipas untuk melangkah ke separuh akhir.
"Secara umumnya ia adalah perlawanan yang positif untuk saya. Dapat beraksi di separuh akhir pada kejohanan terakhir tahun ini adalah amat penting.
"Saya gembira dengan pencapaian ini dan menantikan aksi separuh akhir bertemu Daniil Medvedev," katanya.
Beliau menambah: "Agak sukar beraksi di sini bertemu antara pemain terhebat di dunia pada setiap hari. Kebiasaannya anda akan berasa kepenatan tetapi tahun ia suasananya sedikit berbeza."
Bulan lalu Nadal menyamai rekod Roger Federer memenangi 20 gelaran Grand Slam.

Artikel ini disiarkan pada : Jumaat, 20 November 2020 @ 11:59 AM

cek mek molek

CG Hardcore Club
Platinum Member
Top Poster #1
Reaction score
The Russian wins by 3-6, 7-6 (7/4), 6-3, while the world No 1's hopes of equalling Federer's record ends.

Medvedev beats Nadal to set up Thiem title match at ATP Finals

November 22, 2020 7:51 AM

nadal-medvedev-AP-22.11.2020.png

Rafael Nadal (left) salutes Daniil Medvedev at the end of their semifinal match. (AP pic)

LONDON: Daniil Medvedev sent Rafael Nadal packing after a gruelling slugfest at the ATP Finals in London on Saturday to set up a title match against Novak Djokovic’s conqueror Dominic Thiem.

The Spanish world No 2, who has never won the elite event in his illustrious career, served for the match in the second set but was eventually beaten 3-6, 7-6 (7/4), 6-3.

Earlier, US Open champion Thiem recovered from 4-0 down in the third-set tie-break against Djokovic to win 7-5, 6-7 (10/12), 7-6 (7/5).
The giant Medvedev – arguably the hottest player on the tour after his Paris Masters win – put Nadal’s serve under intense pressure in the early stages of their evening match at the empty O2 Arena.

But he was unable to make his chances count and a drop in his level allowed the Spaniard to break to love to lead 5-3 before serving out for the set.

Medvedev, 24, immediately found his focus at the start of the second set, winning his first service game to love before Nadal double-faulted to give the Russian a 2-0 lead.

Just when it seemed as though Medvedev was cruising, Nadal, 34, broke back twice to take total control and stepped up to serve for the match.

But in another astonishing twist, the 20-time Grand Slam champion was broken to love and Medvedev won the eventual tie-break.

The deciding set hinged on the seventh game, which Medvedev eventually won. He repeated the feat to seal a famous win.

Djokovic agony

Thiem’s victory against Djokovic ended the world No 1’s hopes of equalling Roger Federer’s record of six titles at the elite eight-man event.

The 2019 runner-up faced an uphill battle psychologically after squandering four match points in the second-set tie-break.

But he was quickly back in the groove and rallied from a desperate situation in the final-set tie-break, winning six successive points to earn two match points, taking the second of those.

“It was for sure a mental battle,” said Thiem. “I got so tight in the second-set tie-break, first of all because to play these legends is always going to be something special.

“And then playing for a final here at the ATP Finals is also something very special. I thought after my first big title in New York, maybe I’m going to be a little bit more calm but that was a mistake I guess.”

Thiem took time to settle at the start of the contest but forced the only break of the match in the 11th game, which proved enough to win the first set.

The second set went to a nail-biting tie-break. Thiem squandered four match points and eventually dumped a backhand into the net as the 17-time Grand Slam champion took it 12-10 to level the match.

Both players settled quickly at the start of the decider, with Djokovic looking far more focused than he had in the latter stages of the second set.

A high-quality contest boiled down to the dramatic third-set tie-break, with Thiem defying the odds.

The Austrian is only the second player in 2020 to win a tie-break against Djokovic, who entered the third-set decider with a 15-1 tie-break record this season.

Djokovic, who has already tied Pete Sampras’s record mark of six year-end number-one finishes, has not won the season-ending championships since 2015.

“What he did from 0-4 in the third-set tiebreaker was just unreal,” said the world No 1. “I mean, I don’t think I played bad.”

cek mek molek

CG Hardcore Club
Platinum Member
Top Poster #1
Reaction score
Medvedev defeats Thiem to win ATP Finals title

November 23, 2020 6:23 AM

medvedev-ATP-AP231120.jpg

Daniil Medvedev holds up the winner’s trophy after defeating Dominic Thiem in the ATP Finals in London on Sunday. (AP pic)

LONDON: Daniil Medvedev came from behind to beat US Open champion Dominic Thiem in a gripping encounter and win the biggest title of his career at the ATP Finals in London on Sunday.
The Russian fourth seed was second best for large periods at the empty O2 Arena but found a way back into the contest and prevailed 4-6, 7-6 (7/2), 6-4.

Medvedev, who beat five-time champion Novak Djokovic and world No 2 Rafael Nadal earlier in the week, is the first man to beat all three of the world’s top-ranked players at the season finale.
The giant Russian, 24, has now won 10 consecutive matches following his title earlier this month at the Paris Masters and his victory will taste sweet a year after a winless debut in London.

But it is a painful defeat for Thiem, who also lost in the final of the elite eight-man event last year, to Stefanos Tsitsipas.

“What a match,” said Medvedev. “One of my best victories, two hours and 42 minutes, three sets against an amazing player.

“Dominic, congratulations already for what you achieved in your career. Your name is already in the history of tennis books.

“It is amazing. You won a Grand Slam this year. You are playing unbelievable. I hope we are going to have many more matches to come on the big occasions like this.”

Thiem pressure

Thiem weathered early pressure from Medvedev and secured the first break of the match in the fifth game, when the Russian served a double fault.

He sealed the set in fortunate fashion when his forehand clipped the net and looped over Medvedev’s racket.

Medvedev, who came from a set down against Nadal in Saturday’s last-four contest, made a solid start to the second set.

But Thiem held to love in the fourth game, looking comfortable as the giant Russian sought a way back into the match.

The 27-year-old third seed had chances to earn a potentially decisive break but they slipped by and he yelled in frustration as he squandered his opportunities.

The Austrian took a tumble onto the blue court at the start of the eighth game and found himself break point down but toughed it out, with Medvedev looking stronger as the set wore on.

The second set went to a tiebreak. Having recovered from 0-4 to win the deciding tiebreak against Djokovic on Saturday, Thiem got a taste of his own medicine as Medvedev turned a 2-0 deficit into a 7-2 victory.

The Austrian appeared to be struggling to cope with the punishing pace in the third set and Medvedev did not give him the rhythm to get his big groundstrokes flowing.

He finally cracked in the fifth game, when the Russian produced a volley at the net to break.

Thiem remained under pressure and had to battle hard to avoid going down another break.

But all Medvedev now had to do was keep his nerve. He did so as he served out for victory.

“Of course, I am disappointed, but at the same time I am also proud of the performance of all the week,” said Thiem. “Daniil really deserved it. It was an amazing match.”

Medvedev is the first Russian to win the ATP Finals since 2009, when Nikolay Davydenko triumphed at the first edition of the season finale held in London. Next year, the tournament moves to Turin in Italy.

Sponsored Post